Canada Learning Code is a national not-for-profit organization championing digital literacy education, working nation-wide and across all sectors to equip Canadians with technical skills. To date, the organization has taught over 80,000 learners through their programs, which are offered in over 30 cities across the country. Founded as Ladies Learning Code in 2011, the organization has evolved to run programming for adults, youth and educators through programs Ladies, Girls, Kids, Teens and Teachers Learning Code. Canada Learning Code’s goal is to create 10 million technology learning experiences for Canadians over the next ten years. Technical skills are a tool of empowerment, and it is the organization’s mission to ensure that all Canadians - particularly those who are currently underrepresented in the tech sector - have access to learn these critical skills and be active participants in the digital age.
Canada Learning Code is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity and inclusion within all our teams (employees and volunteers alike). We are committed to continuing to diversify our Teams across Canada. We strongly encourage applications from underrepresented and minority groups.
We are looking for an energetic, mission-driven person to join our team as Code Mobile Operations Lead
About the Role Our Code Mobile Operations Lead will deliver inspiring educational experiences with our Code Mobile and help ensure that we reach or exceed our learner goals across all of our programs. If we develop unique local partnerships and build our community of educators and learners across the region, our Code Mobile Operations Lead will have done their job well.
- Be the primary Lead Instructor for Code Mobile program delivery
- Participate in design-improvements and maintenance of the trucks storage systems
- Track and manage equipment and materials within the truck
- Capture the events and the trip activities in photographs and videos
- Execute the setup and tear down of each event. Determine where/how the lab should be set up (table configuration, power cords, laptops, etc.)
- Map out effective and efficient travel routes for each visit based on delivery opportunities and other targets
- Participate in the delivery of workshops and events as a mentor and lead instructor
- Speak with the media, communicate with parents and event partners and more, as needed
- Step into all team member roles, whether that is driving the truck, leading a workshop or managing partners!
Ultimately, this role will be shaped by the person who fills it -- you will help determine what strategies and efforts are required to get the job done. The position will require you to be organized, self-directed, creative, and flexible. We are looking for someone who has displayed strong interpersonal skills and organizational capabilities throughout their career to date, and who has brought an entrepreneurial flair to every endeavor that they have undertaken.
- You have a fully graduated drivers license (for example, G Class, Class 5, etc.). This is an absolute must
- You have experience in leadership roles with youth - mentoring, teaching, coaching, ideally teaching in camp and/or classroom environments
- You have strong interpersonal communication skills and love the social side of work
- You have impeccable time-management, planning and organizing skills
- It would be great if you have experience with providing support to educators
- You might have some brand ambassador experience
- It would help you if you have event coordination experience
- You have demonstrated comfort in high-paced situations
- You enjoy interacting with kids and are passionate about inspiring and teaching them
- You are passionate about learning environments
- You are a flexible team player and confident in asking the right questions and being engaged to find positive solutions
- You are incredibly self-directed and need little supervision
- You are superbly organized (You are obsessed with list*making)
- You are known for your ability to plan, organize, and multitask with minimal supervision
- You love to use online tools and technology to help you be effective and efficient
- You consider yourself tech-savvy. You know your way around Google Tools such as Drive, Calendar, and Hangouts
- You have a basic understanding of HTML & CSS and Web Design
- You can manage multiple events, people and deadlines
- You have a driven personality to see projects and tasks through to completion
- You have a 'no job is too big or too small' mentality
- You are reliable, honest, and trustworthy and have strong integrity
- You take initiative and are excited to come up with creative ideas as part of your job every day
- You have first aid training and child and infant CPR (if you don’t have it already, it will be required that you get it prior to your start date)
- You can expect that this role will be both fun and challenging. You will help shape the role and what it takes for you to be successful
Not technical? No problem. The first little while in this role will be a technical “crash course”, getting you trained in basic coding, on computational thinking principles, and on tools like Scratch.
Work Hours and Environment This is a full-time position with hours that vary week-to-week and day-to-day, relating the programming schedule (which you create and manage!). This role will work on the Code Mobiles, in community spaces and remotely.
Some evening and weekend work will be required. Travel will be required.
This role reports to our Code Mobile Program Delivery Manager!
Contract Length This is a contract that begins as soon as possible and ends March 31st, 2019, with the potential for an extension!
Salary Range The salary range for this position is $40,000-$45,000 annually.
Why Join Our Team?
We’re doing something big and we have huge goals. Canada Learning Code is a place where you will be surrounded and supported by some amazing people who are light on ego, high on curiosity, and flat out want to make a difference. We are always looking for talented individuals who bring strong skill sets that complement and add to our existing teams along with innovative thinking, team attitude and an ability to show results.
All positions at our organization include the following perks & benefits:
- 15 days of vacation annually
- Up to 10 Personal Emergency Leave days per calendar year
- Lieu Days for additional days worked, such as attending weekend and evening events or meetings
- Extra time off (usually one week) during Organization downtime in December
- Group benefits including medical and dental
- A very progressive pregnancy & parental leave policy
- The opportunity to participate in part-time courses and workshops for free
- Enjoy our cool office and modern classroom space at Queen & Spadina (we have 5,000 square feet!)
- Access to our Privacy Room (a private room with locking door for breastfeeding, pumping, prayer, yoga, etc.)
- Be part of a growing team that is changing the digital literacy education industry in a big way
Apply at http://jobs.canadalearningcode.ca/job_posts/879