We offer a diverse and welcoming work environment that delivers quality services to our citizens.
Transportation Assets Data Scientist (Under Review)
Posting No: 115702
Closing Date: December 18, 2017
Under the general direction of the Traffic Signals Asset Engineer, the Transportation Assets Data Scientist (TADS) is responsible for large scale and targeted statistical, geographic, data analysis of transportation data within the Traffic Signal Branch and transportation division. The position identifies opportunities for operational improvements and efficiencies and to information to support capital and operating business case development, prioritization and investment.
The TADS derives actionable insights from transportation related data by applying scientific hypotheses and modeling compiles data (unstructured, numeric and non-numeric) to guide operational decisions through the use of cognitive science, statistical, algorithmic, and mining and visualization techniques. The Data Scientist serves as the Division’s technical subject matter expert on transportation data. Data sets include road network incident and slow down information, traffic flow and count data, road network asset and performance data, operational and financial data, and other data sources.
The Transportation Asset Data Scientist works in collaboration with the Traffic Signals Branch, Transportation Division, Public Works Department and with other related services throughout the organization to develop, aggregate, maintain, and integrate new data sources; develop, integrate and support the use of ideal visualization, analytics, reporting tools and mediums.
As the Transportation Assets Data Scientist you will:
- Provide departmental data analysis and reporting
- Lead the development, implementation and integration of new and existing data sources, applications and reporting mediums
- Provide asset management related data and analysis for divisional requirements
- Research best practices and keep up to date on new technologies and data initiatives
- Provide information and analysis related to divisional operations
- Post-secondary degree (i.e. Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, Engineering or related field) and complimentary Master’s Degree, or an approved equivalent combination of education and experience. The Master’s degree may be substituted, on a year for year basis, for all but three (3) years of required experience.
- Five (5) years of progressive experience in advanced data analytics, and interpretati9on of data and statistical modeling using R, Python, SQL, SAS, SPSS and/or other equivalent tools
- Demonstrated experience in the use of Github or other similar repositories and the integration of open-source programming and tools
- Demonstrated ability and experience with databases, ETL, and data warehousing including organizing, compiling, manipulating, analyzing and summarizing large datasets
- Demonstrated ability with GIS / GLI cartography and mapping, and business intelligence tools / platforms such as Tableau or PowerBI
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research, analyze complex issues and make recommendations based on sound judgment
- Applied knowledge of machine learning including supervised and unsupervised learning algorithms, pattern recognition, artificial neural networks and deep learning
- Knowledge of transportation engineering and transportation planning theory and principles an asset
Conditions of employment:
- Possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
1. Current resume AND/OR Application Form (Required).
*Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.*
If you do NOT have access to a computer/email, please apply, including all documentation listed above, to: Staffing Branch, HR Services, Main Floor – 510 Main Street, Winnipeg, MB by 4:30 P.M., Monday, December 18, 2017.
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ's or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $2,728.21 - $3,664.54 bi-weekly.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.