Job Title: Application Solutions Architect
Job Type: Permanent, Full-time
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Application Solutions Architect
Salary: $72,181 - $87,855
A team member that is responsible for overall design and development of application solutions within projects or business domains. They assist the Application Architect with the integrity and implementation of the enterprise-wide application and information architecture and the continuing evolution of the software development environment.
WCB uses Java Enterprise Edition and our enterprise applications are all thin-client. Our development environment is based on the IBM Rational suite of products, which is an extension of Eclipse. We make extensive use of Object Orientation: design patterns, layered application architecture, MVC, interfaces, web services, etc. As well, we are heavily invested in EJBs and Java Spring beans.
We have adopted the Java Spring framework and Service Oriented Architecture for the development of new services and applications.
In addition, we have a custom framework that is similar to Struts for some of our legacy Java applications.
MS SQL Server is used for our database management system and Crystal Reports for reporting.
Experience with the following tools and techniques is highly desirable and considered an asset:
• Java Spring Framework (Version 3+)
• Responsive Web Design
• Service Oriented Architecture and supporting Design Patterns
• Web Services
• Dependency Management and Build tools such as Maven
• Continuous Integration tools such as Jenkins
• Repository Managers such as Artifactory
• Agile Development Methodology
• Continuous Dev/Ops
This is a technical lead position that motivates a development team and contributes to, and communicates the architectural and development vision for the organization.
Analysis and Design
• Creates and applies analysis and design documents (e.g. models) as per departmental departmental standards, guidelines, and practices to document the structure and function of systems.
• Analyzes the requirements for purchased software to determine how it should be configured and customized.
• Uses prototyping or other simulation techniques to evaluate and confirm requirements
• Prepare software specifications for development staff
• Participates in quality assurance activities, such as reviews
• Create, modify, and assemble program code to meet requirements and specifications
• Configures and customizes purchased software
• Test applications to ensure requirements are met
• Produce documentation
• Applies appropriate programming methods and adheres to standards
• Participates in quality assurance activities, such as reviews
Quality Assurance and Control
• Plan, prepare data, perform, and verify unit, integration, system, performance, scalability, benchmark, and user acceptance testing.
• Review work products and ensure standards and guidelines are adhered to
Supervision and Leadership
• Directs analysis, design, development, and quality control activities, ensuring that standards/guidelines are followed
• Participates in the development and change of IT standards, procedures, and guidelines
• Assist with the design, development, enhancement, maintenance, documentation, communication, and support the application and information architecture
• Assist with the definition of application solutions to achieve the client objectives within the framework of the application and information architecture
• Lead / direct project teams on the use of standards, guidelines, methods, tools, and techniques in the design and development of the physical components of the application and information solution
• Provide leadership in the integration of packaged software/services into the WCB technical environment
• Ensure project teams produce a quality design from an operational, human factors, and development perspective through all phases of a project
• Assist with the identification / recommendation of standards, guidelines, methods, tools, techniques for new Software Development Environments (SDE’s) as well as opportunities for improvement.
• Assist with the maintenance of the Software Development Environment
• Monitor and research technology trends
• Build a general understanding of packaged software/service solutions that may be applicable to the WCB
• Build a working-level understanding of the WCB technical/network environment
Support and Maintain Computer Applications
• Provides technical support for existing Computer Applications, which includes problem analysis/resolution, performance tuning and handling requests from other functional areas within the WCB.
• Works with software vendors to resolve problems with their products
• Monitor application performance, availability, reliability, and security
• Provide technical expertise to IT and other WCB staff in the use of application development technology and tools
• Lead the identification, evaluation, selection, and purchase of solutions
• Participates in selection of alternatives, including reporting on results of analysis, findings, alternatives, cost, benefit, impacts, risks, and ranked recommendations
• Evaluates solution proposals
Two (2) year Diploma in Computers or four (4) year Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science from a recognized post secondary institution, preferably from a program that has been accredited by CIPS (Canadian Information Processing Society)
Minimum seven (7) years of direct practical experience in software development using technologies that are used by the WCB to include three (3) years experience designing software by employing the methods used by WCB
Experience applying / following system development lifecycle (SDLC) methodologies in place at the WCB and the techniques applied within the various stages of the SDLC
Knowledge of application development frameworks, patterns, methods, etc., preferably those used by the WCB
Knowledge of quality assurance techniques
Ability to use a personal computer and software in a Windows environment
Ability to model application solutions by employing the methods used by the WCB
Ability to lead software development teams
Ability to set software development standards, guidelines, methods, tools, and techniques
Ability to manage a software development environment
Ability to monitor and tune application software and database management systems
Ability to plan and estimate software development projects
Ability to plan and organize workloads and meet tight deadlines
Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, including technical writing skills
Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Experience with WCB claims processing and/or assessments, would be an asset
Quality Orientation/Attention to Detail
Client Service Orientation
* MVA Applicable
You may be asked to demonstrate your ability through competency based interviewing and/or testing.
Screening decisions are based on information outlined in your resumé and cover letter. Your work performance must be satisfactory for your application to be considered. If applying for or out of a term position, please note that article 10.09d of the Collective Agreement may apply.
A satisfactory criminal record check and verification of education will be required for the successful candidate.
The WCB is committed to building a skilled, diverse workforce with equitable representation of Aboriginal persons, visible minorities, persons with disabilities, women, LGBTQ persons and members of other equity-seeking groups. Applicants are encouraged to indicate in their covering letter or resumé if they are a member of these groups.
The Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
To apply click on the link below: