About Canadian Tire App DevOps:
The App DevOps team enables our consumers to experience Canadian tire through new and emerging digital channels. Retail is changing in Canada and Canadian Tire is on the leading edge of this transformation. To us, culture comes first and is based on support and teamwork.
In Winnipeg, we are investing in creative people to build world-leading software to enhance the Canadian Tire retail experience and continue to support and augment them in an evolving industry. We expect our Winnipeg lab to refocus the lens retail is experienced through by revitalizing current applications and cultivate new digital experiences.
To be a part of the team, you must have experience in building applications with high performance connecting to several backend Web Services exchanging data with complex systems. Strong knowledge of modern best practices for professional software development including secure coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations. Experience developing native mobile applications connecting to Secured Web Services and familiarity with security standards for API’s, SSL, and Tokens is highly preferred. Design patterns while creating the functionality outlined in the requirement document and convert functional requirements into user interface designs and prototypes, and developed application(s). Work closely with the UI/UX design team to ensure feasibility of implementation of designs
• Utilize different languages & web platforms to create scalable web and mobile applications based on business requirements.
• Interface with internal project owners, creative team members and developers to ensure that the applications, experiences and websites display and function as expected.
• Able to code and develop features that leverage in-app purchases, eCommerce, engaging experiences and social media integration.
• Convert Mobile App, Digital Display and Website design specifications (wireframes and mock-ups) into working software.
• Provide recommendations and solutions that meet business needs while ensuring an intuitive and best-in-class end user experience.
• Play an active role and take ownership of optimization and performance activities for our interactive digital experiences.
• Collaborate within the App DevOps team and key stakeholders to incorporate the business requirements based on research informed solutions for both psychological and physical elements that will enhance the customer journey and overall experience
• Participate at all phases of the software development life cycle and work with the team via Agile programming practices (such as Scrum or Kanban) to drive team delivery.
• Leverage your past experience with version control software, such as Git or Perforce to communicate and enforce sound code control practices within the development team.
• Effectively develops and encourages clean, well structured, easily maintainable code bases.
• Executes a regular cadence of Code Reviews and shares feedback throughout the team.
• Consult on browser capability and rendering to ensure that proposals and development will work on specified platforms.
• Experience working with remote data via REST and JSON.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering preferred or equivalent Software Development industry experience.
• 5 years of Web or App development experience.
• Has practical knowledge and experience with Git, Gulp, and Node.JS.
• Experience with CSS frameworks and pre-processor’s similar to Bootstrap, Sass or Less.
• Experienced with software architecture and design patterns.
• Adapted to leveraging a Scrum/Agile development methodology and is passionate about optimizing process to keep agility high.
• A meticulous eye for detail; finding and correcting the little issues that turn substandard experiences into best-in-class.
• Possesses some native programming experience for Android using Android Studio, Android SDK, and related languages (Java).
• Knowledge of Android M and N features and differences from prior versions
• Experience with testing frameworks, continuous integration and build tools (i.e. jUnit, DBUnit, Jenkins/Hudson)
• Proficient in writing automated Unit tests (Jasmine / Karma).
• Experience working with Unity 3D game engine is an asset, with a practical understanding of C#, Boo or Python.
• Experienced using and automating tests, documentation, builds and deployment.
• Large scale application development an asset.
What would success look like:
As the successful candidate for the App Developer role on the Canadian Tire App DevOps team you would challenge the norm, push for excellence in everything and always seek discomfort. Everything you do and everything you are responsible for you will be on display for all of our consumers. Life in Canada depends on you and your expertise to make our digital experiences engaging and rewarding.
From the agile path you will be involved from the initial concept through to product delivery and be part of the decisions, direction and all facets that will impact the experiences we bring to Canadians. As a successful Developer you will never stop learning by keeping on top of changes with coding standards such as HTML5, CSS3, and responsive design functions.
In a pinch you fall back on guiding principles whether that be following Stack Overflow blogs, learning how to work directly with the UX designers, UI Developers and team members or spending time creating and refining a well-designed process methodology.If you enjoy looking outside of Web Development and into other areas such as 3D or possess a familiarity with Unity, we would love to hear from you.
Canadian Tire Corporation