What is Bold Commerce?
Named one of Canada’s fastest-growing tech companies by Deloitte, Bold Commerce is a software company specializing in innovative eCommerce apps and solutions for businesses of all sizes. We empower merchants both big and small by providing them with tools to make their eCommerce stores truly awesome.
Barack Obama, Rooster Teeth, and DJ Khaled are among the list of 90,000+ brands in over 170 countries around the world that trust Bold’s suite of eCommerce tools to power their online stores every day.
We're made up of nearly 300 professionals (and growing) who live and breathe eCommerce, and truly give a shit about what we do. We call ourselves Builders. Here at Bold, we live by the Builders Code, our shared set of practices, beliefs and values that help to shape this amazing company. We believe in challenging each other to create the best products and to constantly improve, all to ensure we deliver the best results to our merchants at all times.
Why work at Bold?
Our founders have worked to create and maintain a place that our employees look forward to coming to every day. A place where you can learn and grow, where your ideas are valued and where you can do cool things, all while contributing to the larger success of the company. At Bold we embrace and cultivate a culture of creativity, innovation, and collaboration in order to allow everyone to do their best work every day.
The Bold team is looking for a full-time Tech Lead to help run our Data and Research team! We want a passionate expert who can help us leverage our company data to make smart decisions that enable our merchants to succeed. The ideal candidate will be an experienced programmer, specifically with SQL and Python, and should also have experience leading a team of developers and other highly skilled roles. This role will be responsible for providing technical and people leadership to our Machine Learning and AI team; designing and building machine learning infrastructure and pipelines for creating data, training, and deploying machine learning models; and creating repeatable processes that support self-serve analytics of Product Teams. Other key duties will include:
- Applying various models and algorithms (NLP, Collaborative Filtering, Deep Learning) to improve the intelligence of product capabilities
- Data cleaning and preparation (e.g., removing duplicate cases, replacing missing values with a mean value)
- Translating business questions into relevant queries
- Working with Product Managers and App teams to ensure they have relevant data This could involve procuring additional data, or ensuring that apps collect relevant data from inception
- Mentoring and teaching team members
- Collaborating on roadmaps for data pipelines
Our development methodology follows the agile manifesto closely. We believe in allowing our developers a lot of responsibility and autonomy, so we offer a casual and fun work environment with flexible work hours.
Here’s what we need from you:
- Desire to get shit done - delivering scalable eCommerce solutions
- Belief in our core values
- Post secondary education in Computer Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent program
- 5+ years of related work experience, including team leadership and supervisory responsibilities
- Strong desire to learn new technologies
- Ability to work in ambiguous situations
- Experience with SQL, Python, R or another data processing language
- Understanding of databases (MySQL, Neo4j, Influx)
- Experience in building data pipelines or other infrastructure to quickly leverage multiple data sources
- Experience with open source machine learning libraries, e.g. Keras, TensorFlow, Spark ML, etc.
- Ability to apply feedback or reinforcement learning to improve ML models
- Strong communication skills and effective problem-solving skills
- An understanding of how data analysis translates into business decisions
- A strong grasp of GDPR and user privacy
Other skills that will get you far:
- Being a generally awesome human being. We want someone cool to work with. It makes the office a better place for everyone
- Experience building APIs Understanding of statistics
- Experience with data analysis packages in Python (e.g., Scikit, Pandas)
- Experience creating repeatable queries in Jupyter
- Experience with JIRA, Confluence and the Google Cloud Platform
- Impress us with anything else you can do! Juggle knives, make a killer mixtape, or baking delicious pastries
We get a lot of applicants, so we encourage you to do something that stands out. Go above and beyond when you apply so you don’t get lost in the mix. Talk about a cool project you’ve done, drop us a link to your github or portfolio if applicable, or just impress us with your personality.
If you are a potential Builder and think you've got what it takes to be Bold, we encourage you to apply. We promise it will be a career like no other!